Risky Business – Are Your Independent Contractors Actually Employees?
Government agencies are becoming increasingly aggressive about auditing and penalizing businesses for potential misclassification of employees as independent contractors. Galia Aharoni, founding partner of Aharoni Business Law, PC, will discuss the many tests each government agency uses to perform the IC vs employee analysis, the consequences of accidental or purposeful misclassification, and how lawyers who work with businesses can counsel their clients to minimize risk of misclassification while protecting the company’s bottom line.
- The statutes and caselaw each government entity uses in an employee vs independent contractor analysis
- The consequences of misclassification, including back taxes and penalties
- How to handle an inquiry or audit
- Ways to minimize or eliminate the risk of misclassification
- How to stay compliant with federal, state and local laws